Administrateur

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of marco

OpenMusic Sound Synthesis and Processing Libraries

Groupe Public active 5 days et 4 hours ago

This group focuses on the usage of OpenMusic in relation to sound synthesis and processing, particularly
on the audio objects and the libraries OM2Csound, OM-ASX, OM-Chant, OMChroma, OMPrisma, OM-Spat and OM-SuperVP.

Modalys interference?

Auteur 2 Utilisateurs souscrits |
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi All,

I have noticed a curious phenomenon. If I open a workspace with Modalys lib selected and loading since opening fo workspace, some patches that use audio give me a lot of various and strange errors. If I deselect Modalys lib in preferences, shut down OM and restart it (that is without Modalys lib loaded inopening of the workspace), the same patches run perfectly. I enclose one of these patches for example. With reference to enclosed patch, when problem appears, I see that the various temp audio files that the patch should have to generate, are not created, so it is not possible to have final sound by mixing temporary audio files.
I am on OsX 10.8.5, OM 6.12 and last version of Modalys lib.
Can anyone explain me what is the matter, please?
Thank you in advance

fdsdb

Juillet 12, 2017 à 14:07 #23012
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi Fabio.

Modalys changes the Lisp environment default “read” format for floats from single-float to double-float.
This has some impact in the way float numbers are formatted in SuperVP parameter files, which probably cause your troubles.

I’ll try to make OM-SuperVP more adapted to that.
In the meantime, you can just evaluate :
(setf cl:*read-default-float-format* 'single-float)
after loading Modalys so as to restore the default float format.

Jean

• Cette réponse a été modifiée 3 months et 3 weeks ago par Profile photo of Jean Jean.
Juillet 25, 2017 à 12:10 #23188
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi Jean,

Thank you for reply. Please, forgive my inexperience, I hope I have done the correct moves. I have evaluated your expression inside the OM Lisp editor, I hope it is correct. But, with Modalys library loaded, opening the above patch (or other ones involving chant or SuperVP) I receive this error:

An error of type foreign-type-error
occurred: 1.0 cannot be converted to
foreign type :lisp-single-float

Must I do sommething different?

Thank you in advance, ciao

Fabio

Juillet 26, 2017 à 16:58 #23202
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Sorry I’ve edited my previous flot: the code to evaluate is “single-float”

(setf cl:*read-default-float-format* 'single-float)

Evaluate it in the OM listener or create your own .lisp file in the “patches” folder

Juillet 26, 2017 à 17:02 #23204
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi Jean,

Thank you, now it runs, I have tested a little, so I write the following if useful for anyone:

– I have saved your lisp code in a .lisp file inside patches folder, with a memo title (modalys+supervp.lisp)
– I have tested some different possibilities, and the result is the following: either I open my workspace with Modalys library already loaded, or I load Modalys after opening my workspace, in both cases I must open the Lisp editor, open the saved .lisp file and evaluate the code to restore the correct setting about single/double-float.

It seems to me that in opening Open Music (with Modalys library set to be laoded) the lisp patch is not evaluated after loading Modalys, so it is necessary to do it manually if I want to use Modalys and SuperVP at the same time. I am not a programmer, so it is only an intuition, of course.

I hope this observations can be of some utility. Thank you again, ciao

Fabio

Juillet 27, 2017 à 11:02 #23230
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

In principle the .lisp file should be evaluated if it is in “OM 6.12/patches/”
I have recently seen some problem with this (files in “patches” not loaded) in MacOS Sierra [*] but in your case this shouldn’t be the case (your’re on 10.8 right ?)…

[*] the Sierra case in discussed here: http://forumnet.ircam.fr/user-groups/openmusic/forum/topic/om-6-12-doesnt-see-stock-libraries/
it apparently requires disabling the OS GateKeeper before downloading and installing OM…

Juillet 27, 2017 à 11:11 #23231
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Yes Jean, I am still on 10.8.5, and the .lisp file is inside OM 6.12/patches.

I think it can be a case of order/precedence of loading: perhaps .lisp file is loaded first, but when Modalys library is loaded it can be it restores its own setting about float-format, so it is necessary to turn on the format expressed by .lisp file manually evaluating it.

But I am doing some intuitive hypothesis, because I am not a programmer and I don’t know the mechanism/order of starting of Open Music.

Anyway it is not a big problem, it is sufficient I remember again to evaluate the .lisp file if I want to use patches that require, for example, Modalys and SuperVP at the same time. Otherwise it could be possible to try a code or something other that extablish an exact order of laoding of elements, if that is possible.

Juillet 27, 2017 à 11:56 #23237
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

I think it can be a case of order/precedence of loading: perhaps .lisp file is loaded first, but when Modalys library is loaded it can be it restores its own setting about float-format, so it is necessary to turn on the format expressed by .lisp file manually evaluating it.

Of course. You’re right.

You can also just hack in the Modalys library and put the same line of code in there (for instance at the end of Modalys/Modalys.lisp).

Juillet 27, 2017 à 12:04 #23238
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Thank you Jean, I have tried adding the code at the end of Modalys/Modalys.lisp file and it runs perfectly.

Thank you very much, ciao

Fabio

Juillet 27, 2017 à 12:29 #23239

Vous devez être connecté pour répondre à ce sujet.