Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 6 days ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

add-extra

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of samuelhickok
samuelhickok

I’m trying to add timbral text and dynamics to each note in my score, and it looks like the Text-Extra and Vel-Extra classes, combined with the Add-Extra function should do the trick, but I can’t seem to get the syntax right and can’t find examples of the syntax.  Does anyone have suggestions?

March 4, 2013 at 20:25 #4091
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

If you want to add extras to every chord, then maybe ADD-EXTRA-LIST will be easier to use for it does not require any specific syntax: just connect a CHORD-SEQ and a list of EXTRA objects.

In you want to add the extra to specific notes or chord, then you need to use ADD-EXTRA the adequate number of times, each time with the corresponding EXTRA object and path in the sequence. The path is a tree of indices allowing to target a specific element in the score, e.g. (1) means chord #1 (remember list indices start at 0!); (1 2) means chord #1, and inside this chord, note #2 , etc.

Note the two different modes in the 4th, optional input of these functions, allowing to choose wether you want to modify the input score (default) or return a new one (recommended).

Jean

March 8, 2013 at 10:49 #4184
Profile photo of samuelhickok
samuelhickok

Thank you very much; I have now gotten a general case to work and am trying to problem solve my specific case.

March 11, 2013 at 20:33 #4234
Profile photo of aliser
aliser

Hi,

Here again an old question about editing and adding extras to the score objects.
Primarily I was intending to add accent-sign “>” to the particular chords in a sequence, but I didn’t know how. There are four extra-classes: text-, vel-, notehead- and line-extra. (Obviously there is no articulation- or sign-extras.)
Instead of adding “>”, I decided to try to add extra velocities fff to the particular chords in a sequence using add-extra function. To 2nd (extra) input I gave the list of extras (vel-extra fff class repeated n times) and to the third input (path) I send the list of positions of the chords tho which the velocities should be attached to. [I tried both versions:((0)(5)(7)…) and ((0 0)(5 0)(7 0)…)] Instead of attaching the fff velocity to each particular chord/pitch, all the fff’s are showed (stacked) only at the beginning of the score object, above the first note. I’ve got the same result in chord-seq as well as in voice.
Am I missing something, or this simply doesn’t work?

I am generally working a lot with different sorts of filtrations determinating various articulations, playing techniques, etc. Hence for me it is very important to graphically mark such a changes and that these marks are also exportable to XML (more specifically to Sibelius 7).
[Last time I was using extras,the changes I’ve made couldn’t be exported.] If extras are generally not exportable, is there any other (exportable) method to mark the changes in the score-objects?

All the best!

Aliser

October 17, 2016 at 11:58 #19359
Profile photo of aliser
aliser

Hi,

Since there were no answers to my questions, here I am writing (in hope) again.

Are the changes made with add-extras exportable via XML?
[I have tried with XML export to Sibelus 7 and it doesn’t work. Am I missing something? Is there some new XML-export that does it, or add-extras are simply not exportable?]

Function add-extra-list works flawlessly, but add-extra seems not to work properly.
[I followed the instructions given by Jean Bresson earlier on this forum, but the results differ depending on extra-classes used (never giving the expected result). Also, the example file sent by Karim at http://forumnet.ircam.fr/user-groups/openmusic/forum/topic/add-extra-objects-to-score/ can not be opened.)

Please, let me know the answers to these two questions, so I don’t lose my time on add-extra issue in vain! (However, I would find it pity if it doesn’t work because it is a really an important tool.)

All the best!

Aliser
MacOS X.7
OM 6.8
[I know that my OS and OM versions are little bit outdated, but I am little bit tired of having to continuously adopt to changes (especially by Apple) that brings little or nothing for my purpose and in return a bunch of problems with incompatibility of programs and acquired routines. Hence, I stick to the old versions till they work for me.:)]

October 18, 2016 at 10:48 #19380
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I just realised you had no answer on this thread.
I’ll try to make it short:)

– you can use “char-extra” to add a sign that is contain in the omextra.ttf file in your OM folder (/resources/fonts/)
Unfortunately there are not so many signs in this file :) but you can edit it (if you know how) and add more.
Then you just initialize the char-extra object with the ASCII caracter which corresponds to your sign (e.g. “r”, “s”, etc.)

– only text and velocity extras are currently exported to XML.
But you will have to upgrade your OM version for that..

– Please send minimal examples of how add-extra or add-extra list do not work and I can try to look at it.
However, here also, we’ll need to be in line and work on the last OM version.

I hope this helps

Jean

November 16, 2016 at 21:35 #19835

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.