Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 2 days, 12 hours ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

Developing OM libraries

Author 2 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of Sahin Kureta
Sahin Kureta

I wrote a small OM library using OM’s own text editor, but development process is a bit clumsy. I gave to test it in om, reloading the library each time. I cannot take advantage of any IDEs, such as LispWorks or Emacs. Is there a better way to develop for OM? I am also new to LISP but I have experience with C++, and Python. For example, is there a file I can include in order to be able to test my functions, which depend on some Om functions, in my IDE?

November 10, 2016 at 11:47 #19661
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hello,

Of course you can use any editor or IDE to write your OM/Lisp code.
But if you want it to be dynamically evaluated and integrated in OM as you write it , however, you will have to use the OM editors.

I guess what you can make yourself an intermediate workflow, for instance coding in your favorite editor and just using OM whenever needed to load/reload the lib, or any specific file — using (load ).

You can use the LispWorks IDE for that (probably the best for editing Lisp code — free personal edition available on http://www.lispworks.com), but it will still be disconnected from your running OM session until you reload the lib.

[It’s actually no much worse than recompiling/relaunching your program all the time as you would do in onther langauges… :)]

November 16, 2016 at 21:49 #19836
Profile photo of Sahin Kureta
Sahin Kureta

Intermediate workflow is the best approach as you said. But I cannot make LispWorks recognize om methods. I guess I don’t know how LispWorks works. If I was developing in C++ I would just point to OM headers and I could work with any ide, with code completion and everything. With LispWorks I have no idea how I can point the IDE to OM sources.

November 26, 2016 at 13:58 #19928

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.