WARNING!
With the new Ircam Forum website coming, the user groups will be migrated towards a new platform.
Please plan user groups downtime between Monday, March 25th and Tuesday, March 26th.

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 2 days, 19 hours ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

exporting multiple tempi

Author 4 Subscribed Users |
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

Hi All,

I’m trying to export, from a POLY object, a fragment with three staffs, each having a different metronome.

I’m discovering that:

xml format does not report any metronome

midi export causes a OM crash

the only export would be in BACH format (trying to discover which format it is… is it the BACH environment for CAC in MAX?)

ETF format is not suggested (in OM user manual)

NAP format: don’t know about it..it seems a  OM format.

So :

once OM export correctly the multiple metronomic indications ( just Bach format seems doing that, right now)

is there a way to represent simultaneous multiple tempi in a score for printing? (example, in Finale one can try but it seems very complex)

thanks  and best

January 23, 2013 at 10:50 #3541
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Dear Diego:

If you want export poly with different tempi, you must be aware (but I think you noticed already!) that most software and formats just don’t support this feature.

About your issues:

– MIDI export (crash) => please send or attach an example. I think this can be fixed. However, this would not solve the multi-tempi export problem.

– Bach: Yes, this is the import/export format from/to the bach environment for Max

– ETF is not supported anymore (in Finale and in OM)

– NAP is “NoteAbility Pro”.

A solution might be to use Lilypond. Lilypond export is not present by default in OM but is available via the OMLily library by Karim Haddad : http://karim.haddad.free.fr/pages/downloads.html

Best regards,

January 24, 2013 at 10:37 #3623
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

thank you Jean,

actually I was exploring within the manual of Lilypond to see it that program allows one to have staves with different tempi..but I did not find yet.

Do you know that Lylipond let do so?
I’ve seen the Haddad library, that would be useful indeed.

I’ve tried to import, in Bach, a Bach file exported with OM and it works. One has to remember anyway, that a .txt suffix must be manually added, because OM doesn’t do itself.

I’m discovering BACH, it has many facilities for writing scores, but I do not know if it allows to print well enough.

In general OM midi export works,
just when I tried to export with multiple tempi happened that OM crashed..

thanks again
Diego

January 24, 2013 at 11:36 #3625
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Hi Diego,

Sorry i missed this disscission. Of course, Lilypond, same as OM, supports both, polytempi, and polymetrics. I use this a lot. Unfortunately, for the time being, the omlily lib doesn’t support that. I am planning to release a new version which does. But for many reasons,( one of them is lack of time),  but the mainly it is the evolution of Lilypond itself. Now you can do a lot of complex things simply. It’s a matter of syntax. The 2.16 version of lily has seen a lot of changes regarding this, and the upcoming is also promising. So, when it will be time, i will be releasing a major upgrade.

Will send soon an example.

Best Regards

K

January 28, 2013 at 23:01 #3737
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

Merci Karim,

so there is no alternative: studying Lilypond.

I just was wondering if Max-Bach, having so many features (at least so it seemed to me) for scoring, and supporting multitempo (exported from OM it works) could be useful for printing too.

But probably it is not the goal.

thanks again

Diego

January 29, 2013 at 09:14 #3742
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Yes Diego. I’ve been through tht and i don’t regret it at all. I use for editing my scores Lilypond now.

I am including an example here (it’s a Scriabin etude) with multitempo and multiTimesignature.

Lilypond allows you to multiply any duration or rhythm by a factor, so that you can “scale” a voice on another. Of course this includes some arithmetics, not very complicated. If you need some help with that, please do ask.

Attachments:
  1. Screen-shot-2013-01-29-at-12.02.23-PM

Screen-shot-2013-01-29-at-12.02.23-PM.png

January 29, 2013 at 12:07 #3745
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

many thanks Karim

I’ll get into Lylipond then.

I hope about an OM to Lylipond export option one day in the (..not too distant) future.

best

Diego

January 29, 2013 at 16:39 #3747
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Dear Diego,

I will do that ASAP things sorts up in OM regarding the tempo changes issue. The problem is that the tempo changes standard in OM is not that stable regarding  the standards like in Chord-seq (meaning => repeating last value ) as I believe  it should be. And this is because it used to be , and is in fact a Beta feature.  I have communicated this to our dev team, and this issue needs to be discussed thoroughly in order to evaluate if it could be done without breaking things up for those users (like me in fact) who had used it already.

Best

K

January 29, 2013 at 23:27 #3753
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

thanks Karim

so we’ll see the developments.

Anyway it would be great to have the OM-lylipond full export

best regards

Diego

January 30, 2013 at 22:38 #3767
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Diego

By the way you can download the standard omlily lib from there :

http://karim.haddad.free.fr/pages/downloads.html

(Tempo and polymetrics not yet included in this version).

Best

K

January 31, 2013 at 12:33 #3773
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

surely Karim

in fact this is my intention for the next future

thank you

Diego

January 31, 2013 at 23:06 #3775
Profile photo of jorgesadlevi
jorgesadlevi

Hello Diego , I have the same problem. I’ m tryng to import the result of this patch in bach

and it does not “see” the file. can you tell me if  you arrived to see your polymetric and poly tempi score

imported in BACH?and if yes , how you did it. thank you, jorge

February 17, 2013 at 21:31 #4004
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Dear Jorge,

I don’t use Bach. But i am note that sure that it can handle polytempi or polymetrics.

Maybe if you use bach, try to export separate voices with their respective tempi.

Best

K

February 17, 2013 at 22:46 #4005
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

Hi Jorge,

I opened multitempi in BACH by adding the suffix .txt to the exported om-bach format.

I did it just once and it worked.

It seems that OM doesn’t complete such a task.

Let me know if this is your case too.

hasta luego

Diego

February 17, 2013 at 23:27 #4006
jorgesadlevi

Thank you Diego  and Karim , I’ m not seeing nothing after importing  in bach, but this is probably because I’ m beginning to learn this soft. I will check also Lilypond. tante grazie, grand merci.

February 18, 2013 at 03:03 #4007
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

Jorge,

I did so:

from OM POLY object exported to BACH format and save as xxxx.txt (you put the .txt at the end)

from bach.score object (within max obviously) send a \’read\’ message in the left inlet then you can read the .txt file

you have to enter the inspector of bach.score for setting the staves (G F F in my case) that you find as clefs

it works thus far . An image as example from BACH is attached here

I did not try Karim\’s omlily right now

let me know

saludos

Diego

Attachments:
  1. multitempiOMtoBach

multitempiOMtoBach.png

February 18, 2013 at 09:18 #4008
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

..anyway, I remember  that ‘om->lily’ doesn’t export multitempi so far, as Karim told me

ciao

Diego

February 18, 2013 at 09:28 #4010
jorgesadlevi

Hi Diego ,  I did it,  it works perfectly ,  thank you very much , as far as I see, with bach you can’t even put dynamics, so all we can do is learn Lylypond and wait to the export feature of OM, or to use  milimietric paper and a pen :) .saludos

, jorge

February 19, 2013 at 05:14 #4018
Diego Dall'Osto
Diego Dall’Osto

perfect Jorge,

in any case, better avoiding that terrible manual work !!

saludo

Diego

February 20, 2013 at 18:30 #4033

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.