Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 1 hour ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

MidiShare not able to access QT synth on fresh installs

Author 2 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of Trond LOSSIUS
Lossius

Hi,

At BEK we’re doing an OM intro workshop with Anders Vinjar this week. On the laptops of two of the participants we had problems were CHORD-SEQ etc. would not produce any sound when played, in spite of MidiShare being properly installed. On the two laptops I noticed that QT GM Synth would not show up in “Output Slots” when opening msDisplay. Reading MidiShare documentation we narrowed the problem down to being that the ~/Library/Preferences/MidiShare folder was empty on these two laptops. We then managed to solve the issue by copying across the files of this folder from my own laptop.

For what it’s worth the two laptops were running 10.7 and 10.8 respectively. Others had it working immediately on the same OS versions.

I guess this problem is not strictly OM-related, but it might be useful to have this note here in case others experience similar problems.

Best,
Trond

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Trond LOSSIUS Lossius.
  • This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Trond LOSSIUS Lossius.
December 9, 2013 at 13:21 #7177
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi Trond

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the inconvenience.
Indeed, it has been noticed already that MidiShare would not necessarily install correctly an all OS configurations.

As you noticed it might be useful to look at it independently of OM in case of troubles. In /Applicactions/MidiShare/ is located a setup application (msDrivers.app) as well as a utility to check the connection to the GM Synth (msControler.app).

In certain cases, installing MidiShare 1.92 instead of 1.93 solved this installation issue (see http://repmus.ircam.fr/openmusic/download#installation-mac-osx).

Best,
Jean

December 9, 2013 at 13:52 #7180

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.