Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 23 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

Problem with connections

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of wulf
wulf

I downloaded OM a few days ago and am trying to work through the tutorials, by creating a new patch box, then copying and amending the tutorial patch.
(I am working in Windows 7)

But I am having problems with connections, sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t and I don’t know why.

eg I am currently copying tutorial 8
I created a note-box, then copied over the harmonic series box, and created a chord box for the result.
However, I cannot connect from the note-box to the harmonic-series box. I try dragging from the correct output to the correct input but nothing happens. Why ?
Any help please

Thanks

Pete

September 4, 2013 at 11:15 #5719
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hello,
The objects should connect without trouble providing you’re not creating a cycle (that is, if the box your connecting to is not itself indirectly connected with the “origin” box already).
Do you maybe have a screen shot showing your patch ?
Best

September 4, 2013 at 19:47 #5729
Profile photo of wulf
wulf

Hi Jean

Thanks for your reply.
<<The objects should connect without trouble providing you’re not creating a cycle>> That’s what I hoped would happen but it doesn’t. I have been copying the tutorials (so far I have tried tutorials 1 to 10) ‘exactly’ as in the tutorial, so I would assume there are no cycles and no errors in the tutorial. I have OM 6.6.2 and Windows 7 (64-bit) – maybe it works differently in Windows from MAC, or is it because OM is a 32-bit application running on a 64-bit machine ??
Since I wrote earlier, I have had some success ie when I drag the connection, if I also press the Ctrl, or SHIFT, or CAPSLOCK key (or a combination of those keys) then the connection usually works, but so far there does not seem to be any consistency over which ‘extra’ keys work in what circumstances. So, after several frustrating hours of trial-and-error I can now usually get a connection . At least I am now getting some tutorials to run, but the behaviour does seem rather weird ….

Pete

September 6, 2013 at 10:10 #5731
Profile photo of Didier DEBRIL
Didier DEBRIL

Hello Pete,

I work on both platforms, Mac and Windows 7 and 8, and I have no problem with windows, OM works well with. Effectively to assess insert notes in a chord or chord sequences must be used for connections CTRL but I do not use it, I connect pulling between the two connection points.
I redid the patch No. 8 with windows 7 and 8, recreating the internal patch, and no problem with the two (see screenshot).
Cordially.
Didier

Attachments:
  1. ConstrucHarmoSer1

ConstrucHarmoSer1.jpg

September 9, 2013 at 09:01 #5744
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Indeed there should be no specific problems in Windows (7 or 8), at least with connecting boxes together…

September 14, 2013 at 18:56 #5822
Profile photo of wulf
wulf

Thanks for your replies. But, a month later, nothing has changed for me. I am still having problems. I do usually manage to get most patches to work eventually but it is a long-winded process of trial and error. I am not trying to do anything new, just copy tutorials from the online documentation. I am only persisting because OM looks as if it will eventually be a useful tool.
So, some of you are managing to get it to work OK on Windows 7 or 8 – are you also in Windows 64-bit and also on OM 6.6.2 ?
What else can I look at to determine where the cause of the problems could be ?
Is it worth a try to ininstall/reinstall OM ?

Re the documentation ie the OM 6.6 User Manual, is it possible to download a copy as a pdf file ?

Thanks

Pete

October 2, 2013 at 16:17 #6023
Profile photo of wulf
wulf

Further to my posting a few minutes ago;
When I set up OM, I installed the OM-6.6.2-Windows file only. Should I also install anything else to make sure it functions properly. eg anything to do with Lisp (I do not have a Lisp compiler on the computer). Does the installation of OM assume the presence of any other applications, or dlls, or system settings etc ?

October 2, 2013 at 16:24 #6025

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.