Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 2 hours, 8 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

OM 6.12 doesn't see stock libraries

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

Hi everybody,

I installed the new version yesterday on MacOS Sierra, but it can’t open my previous workspaces, because it doesn’t find it’s own libraries, Esquisse, Repmus,… I just copied the whole folder from the DMG to my application-folder, so everything is in the default place. Is this normal, or another security restriction from Apple? I can start importing my old stuff, but shouldn’t the standard libraries be seen by the OM-app without explicit pointing to them?
This causes the constant error: “I can’t load the workspace because library nn isn’t found”, so I can’t actually get into the preferences and point to the standard libraries…

I’ll stick with 6.11 for now…

Greetings, Joost

March 20, 2017 at 18:19 #21950
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Do you see the libraries when you open the “Packages” window ?

Attachments:
  1. Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.24.47

Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.24.47.png

2. Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.24.47

Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.24.47.png

March 20, 2017 at 18:26 #21951
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

Hi Jean,

it sees the libraries-folder in packages, but it’s empty, when I click on the lower half of it’s icon, to open it’s contents, nothing happens;
it looks different from your screenshot in that it doesn’t have the arrow on it’s left side;

Thanks for helping out!
Joost

March 20, 2017 at 18:51 #21962
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

ok. Is there something in the OM 6.12/libraries/ directory ?

Attachments:
  1. Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.53.40

Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.53.40.png

2. Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.53.40

Screen-Shot-2017-03-20-at-18.53.40.png

March 20, 2017 at 18:54 #21963
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

Yes, obviously :-)
since I copied the folder in its exact state from the install-DMG, so it contains all the stock-library-folders;
I see the files for Repmus and all the others, but the OM-app doesn’t see them…

March 20, 2017 at 18:58 #21966
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

ok, very strange. Files in the folders, too I guess.
This might be a codesigning thing that I didn’t do well (I’m not sure I even signed the code at all in 6.12).
I will try to redo and post an update asap (give me a few days).

March 20, 2017 at 19:04 #21967
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Dear Jean,

Yes I confirm. With Sierra there is a problem accessing the library folder in OM. When the OM PAckages Library is openned, there is no left arrow allowing you to open the libraries folder in order to load them. I am sure it is the F(*& Apple security shitty system called Gate Keeper that prevent this happening.

Best
K

March 20, 2017 at 19:46 #21969
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi there,
So I updated the OM 6.12 MacOSX download with a better code-signed app.
Let me know if it works

March 30, 2017 at 17:29 #22038
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

I’m sorry to report that it didn’t work, Jean. The problem persists, symptoms being the same as discussed above.
I tried to make a work-around by adding the libraries-folder to the user-libraries that you can appoint yourself; like this OM recognises them, but doesn’t seem to understand that the ‘repmus’ I told to load is the same ‘repmus’ as used in existing patches.
Which triggers the same error as before: ‘I can’t open this workspace, because I can’t find the library Repmus’ (or any other);
So I would have to manually import each patch from previous workspaces, and replace the library-related items in it…
It seems on the surface indeed a problem of security system, but OM 6.11 works brilliant on my current system, and, apparently has no problems cooperating with the OS…

If I can be of any help to find this bug, let me know! OM 6.12 feels nice and fast, for what I have tested it until now, I’d love to update :-)
Just for info my system: MBPro 15″ from 2014 with OSX Sierra 10.12.4

Greetings from Brussels!
Joost

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of JoostVK JoostVK.
March 31, 2017 at 10:54 #22047
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Yes, I’ve noticed that already and am trying to figure out what is wrong..

It is strange that this does not happen with 6.11 works on Sierra (right?), the installer-building procedure is pretty much the same and I can’t remember what I did differently about included libraries.

March 31, 2017 at 10:58 #22048
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

Yes, that’s really bizar. 6.11 has no issues whatsoever on Sierra;
Is there some file within the new 6.12-application that I could maybe inspect? Where does the OM-app reads it’s info on the location of the libraries?
I know Sierra is all about sandboxing apps and restricting permissions to alter or inspect the file-system, like on the iOS…
I had some small opensource apps that don’t work anymore on Sierra because of this.
Somehow the OM-app also seems ‘blind': it doesn’t see into it’s surrounding folder…

March 31, 2017 at 11:15 #22050
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

ok. can you try the updated dmg file that I just uploaded ?
http://forumnet.ircam.fr/shop/fr/forumnet/43-openmusic.html
(“Release #[2] updated”)

March 31, 2017 at 11:37 #22051
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

I’m sorry, still the same;
I’ll be online for the afternoon, so if you want to send test-material, I’ll keep an eye on this thread!

March 31, 2017 at 11:46 #22052
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Jean,

Maybe it is a LispWork issue. Maybe it is not signed apple. So when an image is done with it, Sierra is not happy ?
(it’s just a hinch.) We are having the same issue with Max runtime. I know it is not the same, but maybe should check into this direction. Anyhow Apple policy is not cool !

Best
K

March 31, 2017 at 11:49 #22053
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Ok, so here is a guess : the problem might not come from the OM update (6.11 => 6.12) but from the Sierra updates you got installed in the meantime.

Let’s try the following : go to the OM-archives pages and try to re-download OM 6.11. If I’m correct it might not work anymore either (! install it in a different location, like on your Desktop, in order to not erase your previously installed 6.11)
=> http://forumnet.ircam.fr/shop/fr/archived.php?id_product=43&archived=1

It seems that the new Sierra silently “delocalizes” the running (newly downloaded) app somewhere hidden in your disk, which makes it blind to surrounding files and folder.

The function (lw::lisp-image-name) allows to see where your running executable is localized.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of Jean Jean.
March 31, 2017 at 13:32 #22054
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Guess #2: disabling your Mac’s security assessment policy system will let OM downloads to install and run correctly.

In order to do that, use the Terminal and type :
sudo spctl --master-disable

Do this before downloading OM, or re-download it after this is done.

March 31, 2017 at 14:13 #22056
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

Hi Jean, I can recreate the situation here. Apparently it’s Sierra;
How do I type this lisp-image function in the listener or somewhere else to find out the changed location?
I tried to copy-paste it with parenthesis in the listener, but nothing happens;

If I disable Gatekeeper, and download and install OM6.12, can I enable it then afterwards again, or do I need to disable it each time I run OM?

March 31, 2017 at 14:27 #22057
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

If I disable Gatekeeper, and download and install OM6.12, can I enable it then afterwards again, or do I need to disable it each time I run OM?

Good question. I think you can re-enable it after downloading (this is when the magic happens).
To re-enable :
sudo spctl --master-enable
Let us know if it works..

March 31, 2017 at 14:39 #22058
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

How do I type this lisp-image function in the listener or somewhere else to find out the changed location?
I tried to copy-paste it with parenthesis in the listener, but nothing happens;

If you are in a standard text pane (e.g. a text buffer or the Listener ouput pane) you can evaluate expressions using CTRL+x-e (x then e, while CTRL remains down).

Otherwise, you can enable the Listener input pane from your General Preferences, and then just type and evaluate expressions in it.

March 31, 2017 at 14:48 #22059
Profile photo of JoostVK
JoostVK

Jean & Karim,

disabling Gatekeeper did the trick! I got 6.12 working stable! I re-enabled it after installing and everything seems to work properly.
Thanks, maybe put a note at the download-page so that other Mac-users know how to proceed with the installation!

Thank you for the help & time!
Joost

March 31, 2017 at 17:54 #22060
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

I just uploaded a new release (#3) where code signing should now pass the GateKeeper.
Let me know if it works.

April 3, 2017 at 16:35 #22096

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.