Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 3 hours, 44 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

OM 6.13 audio trouble (on osx 10.8.5)

Author 4 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi All,

I have just downloaded new OM version, but I have same behaviour about detecting audio device than in 6.12 version, and some patches does not run. I am on OsX 10.8.5 (I know it is a little dated). The problem is present in patches that use OM-Chant classes, I enclose the error advice and omloop and its subpatch screenshot.
On OM 6.12 the problem is not present, the patch runs perfectly. So must I update the system or contonue to use 6.12 version?
Tomorrow I can test the same on my Institute computer, with El Capitain OsX version.

Thanks in advance for help.

fdsdb

Attachments:
  1. formant-filter

formant-filter.png

2. formant-filter

formant-filter.png

3. sampler-loop

sampler-loop.png

4. sampler-loop

sampler-loop.png

5. 01

01.png

6. 01

01.png

November 30, 2017 at 20:15 #24512
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi Fabio,

About the audio device selection, can you try to remove your previous preferences ?
(quit OM and delete preferences.lisp from your workspace folder)

Hard to tell about the other problem, unless you attach a patch maybe ?

Thanks,
Jean

November 30, 2017 at 21:53 #24520
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi Jean,

Thank you for reply. Yes, I have already tried to remove preferences, but without better results.
I enclose one of the patches that are not running on version 6.13, I think the problem could be connected with OM-Chant function in subpatch, because the previous version of that patch (only OMChroma class, no OM-Chant filter) runs.

Ciao

Fabio

December 1, 2017 at 08:03 #24521
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Alright, so the problem in your patch is that some intermediate files that you generate have no extension (“aiff”).
This is not really well supported by the underlying audio system: in 6.12, you did not see these crashes but I think you could not play these files either (although they might be displaying well graphically in the OM sound box).

Anyway, I just fixed it in the audio lib and will post an update.

In the meantime, you will prevent this crash by just specifying an extension for your sound file names when you use ‘unique-pathname': the 3rd — optional — input is here just for that.

J.

December 1, 2017 at 10:25 #24524
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi Jean,

Thank you very much, I have fixed almost all patches. Indeed I had encountered the same problem, and your solution, but I didn’t remember, I apologize for that.
If possible, I ask you about two further patches (n. 19 and 20, 20 is a variation of 19), because OM freezes and terminal opens, so I had to kill OM. In terminal I have succeeded in saving a bug report. I enclose the two patches and the bug report. This latter is relative to patch n. 20 error. Of course for me the bug report is arabic language, the only thing perhaps I understand is that it could be an error related to opening a file into /private/var/tmp folder (indeed very crouwded with files), but I am not sure.

Thank you for your disposability and kindness, ciao

Fabio

December 1, 2017 at 19:25 #24528
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi Fabio,

in principle OM doesn’t deal or know about this temporary folder: I supposed it is more where Lisp tries to output crash reports, or something like this.

I ideed had some not-very-systematic crashes with your patch.
Maybe you can help with some precisions:
– Does your crach happen all the time when you try it ?
– Does it happen when you run only the sampler-loop, not the final “synthesize” box ?
– Does it happen also with no so many notes (e.g. less than 10) ?
– Does it happen in OM 6.12, too ?

Thanks

December 5, 2017 at 10:58 #24563
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

ps. your patch generates a lot of sound files in the “outfiles” folder.
In order to avoid this I would recommend, instead of using ‘unique-pathname’, to use for instance a ‘FOR’ iterator (or a “COUNT”) in your OMLOOP in order to generate the output filenames from the iteration count.
Then you can avoid generating hundreds of files by selecting “replace” in the “If output file exists…” option of the OM audio preferences.

December 5, 2017 at 11:07 #24566
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your replies. I am going to answer to first post, about your p.s. I must a moment to build the patch, I am not so acquainted with all omloop functions… and now I am going to my Institute (busy period…).

– the crash appeared all times, but now I am using the patches and with a large number of pitches I have the crash (to say, 6 steps in interpolation function), but if I set a reduced number of steps, for example 2, I have a minor number of pitches and the creash seems to disappear
– yes, the crash happens from sampler-loop forward
– ok, the answer is in first one
– oh, good to know: in OM 6.12 all was regular, but now I have tried to run again the patches, and I have crashes…

I hope this is useful also for your work, meanwhile thank you for your support.
Tomorrow I think I can have some time to try to set the omloop as you suggest in your p.s.

Ciao

Fabio

December 6, 2017 at 15:00 #24578
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

For me the patch crashes both in 6.12 and 6.13

Can you try to disable the “Print system output” option in the OM Audio preferences ?

December 6, 2017 at 15:07 #24579
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi,

I have tested with “Print system output” disabled, both in 6.12 and 6.13, with many or few pitches, I have obtained the first enclosed error in 6.12 and the second one in 6.13.

Ciao

Fabio

• This reply was modified 5 days, 16 hours ago by Profile photo of fdsdb fdsdb.
Attachments:
  1. 02

02.png

2. 02

02.png

3. 01

01.png

4. 01

01.png

5. Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.36.53

Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.36.53.png

6. Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.36.53

Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.36.53.png

7. Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.34.35

Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.34.35.png

8. Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.34.35

Schermata-2017-12-07-alle-09.34.35.png

December 7, 2017 at 09:41 #24587
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

are you saying these are not the same errors with or with print output enabled ?

these two errors do not seem related to the previous one

December 7, 2017 at 09:51 #24597
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Yes, I had noticed, too. These are errors with print output disabled. That is without print output enabled.

December 7, 2017 at 13:31 #24598
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Little update: I have realized that the error is inside the subpatch denominated “formant_filter” inside the “sampler_loop”. So at the momento all apthces that contain that subpatch in the loop give me an error (specifically corresponding to 01.png attached above). I think it generate no sound or a bad-formatted sound: Audiosculpt can not open the temporary generated files. I have copied it in a new patch, and even with only one sound it gives me the same error. If I bypass it inside the “sampler_loop” everything runs. If I arrive to a solution I will post it.

December 8, 2017 at 17:21 #24604
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Second little update, sorry for all these posts: I have reinstalled OM-Chant 2.2, and verified that the tutorial patch denominated “09-snd-patch5″, from which I have taken suggestion for my subpatch, gives me the same error. But I am not able to verify is it is a problem linked to library or to some bad setting in my system. I have tried to rebuild permissions and doing some maintenance, but nothing has changed. Thanks in advance for every suggestion.

Indeed I am verifying that no patches from OM-Chant tutorial runs, at least the first thirteen ones. I have located again chant executable in preferencies, but without success.

December 8, 2017 at 17:42 #24605
Jérôme
Jérôme

ciao Fabio,

OM-chant 2.2 works well with OM 6.13 on osx 10.12.6

here’s a screenshot of the tut you mentioned

So your bug is very strange…

Ci vediamo !

…………………………………………………… jerome

Attachments:
  1. om-chant

om-chant.jpg

December 8, 2017 at 18:21 #24606
Jérôme
Jérôme

well………
I’ve tested the last version of your sampler

OM asks me several times to load a sound file (but really often !! ) and, when after 10 minutes of computing, I’ve chosen not to load a soundfile and I’ve (see bug-windows)
but, I’ve a sound (see spazio)

I send also the very long listener… (see listener)

hoping it helps !

…………………………………………………………………… jerome

Attachments:
  1. spazio

spazio.jpg

2. bug-windows

bug-windows.jpg

December 8, 2017 at 18:54 #24609
Jérôme
Jérôme

oops, the listener

• This reply was modified 4 days, 7 hours ago by Jérôme Jérôme.
December 8, 2017 at 18:59 #24614
Profile photo of marco
marco

Dear Fabio,

I just tried to run the official chant tutorial you mention, and everything works fine on my computer. I just load a mono sound file, then compute it. I’m using OM 6.12 and OS X 10.11. Strange.

Attachments:
  1. Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-17.58.39

Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-17.58.39.png

2. Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-17.58.39

Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-17.58.39.png

December 8, 2017 at 19:05 #24618
Jérôme
Jérôme

I try, for the third time, to send you the listener, I don’t know why forumnet don’t want to attach it !!!!

December 8, 2017 at 19:06 #24621
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

I am suspecting Fabio’s problem is related to the maximum number of open files per process allowed by the operating system (by default in macOS this value is 256).

Once this number is reached files can’t be open and sound objects in OM can’t load anymore.
Printing the external process to the OM output stream probably gets affected by this, too.

December 8, 2017 at 21:01 #24624
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Fabio’s patches are great, but they actually open many audio files (more than necessary!): each time the sound object is loaded, copied, input in a matrix, etc.

However in principle OM opens the file and closes it immediately when the sound object is initialized, so that the limit is pretty hard to reach.

December 8, 2017 at 21:04 #24625
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

.. ok I think I may have something.
can you try this updated build: https://forge.ircam.fr/p/OM/downloads/get/OM_6.13.zip

let me know.

December 8, 2017 at 22:26 #24626
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi All,

First of all thank you All for support. And then sorry for the lot of generated files in my patches, I am not able at the moment to structure the patches in a less expensive way…

I have downlaoded Jean’s updated build and things run better:

– I had 5 broken patches, now only the enclosed give a new error, the other ones run without errors
– the error given by the enclosed patch is the following, in the listener, repeated for every intermediate generated file: “Error : trying to sequence 2 sounds with different number of channels or different sample-rate. Output is input 1.” So I think now something wrong happens in “Mix” subpatch.
– the functioning patches, however, render a sound different from the original, with a different envelope and more noisy. I have tried to add a GEN7 correct envelope to OMChroma class, but the noise remain

Another thing I have observed, I don’t know how much pertinent: intermediate generated files, with their name and .aiff extension, often are not read by Audacity or Audiosculpt, and the only way to play them is by importing as raw data in Audacity. This both in successful patches and in broken one, to say.

Generally 6.13 version now runs better, speeder and with better detection of audio hardware.

For Jean: I appreciate very much your support, however I feel guilty for abusing of your time, if the problem was in my OsX. I can try some maintenance in my OsX for testing if something become better. Of course if you can resolve the problem I will be very happy and grateful…

Thanks again to everyone, I hope this observations can be useful also for your work.

Ciao

Fabio

December 9, 2017 at 20:29 #24627
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

To Jérôme: the multiple requests of loading the audio file are very strange. Heve you these requests even if you block the sound object where you have the imported sound?

Ciao

Fabio

December 9, 2017 at 20:36 #24630
Jérôme
Jérôme

Fabio,

yes, you’re right I have imported a new sound and I didn’t block the object ! do you want I test it again ?

ciao

…………………………………………………… jerome

December 9, 2017 at 20:46 #24631
Jérôme
Jérôme

Fabio,

I’ve changed back to gliss.aiff and block the sound and I’ve also downloaded the OM version provided by Jean thanks to this topic.

I’ve a process really faster and it seems to work, I join you the listener, it seems to be all right !

good evening !

………………………………………………………………… jeromre

Attachments:
  1. listener.txt
December 9, 2017 at 21:07 #24632
Jérôme
Jérôme

oops !

While playing the sound rendering, I have this bug window which is displaying again and again, so I had to force to quit OM

Attachments:
  1. bug-report

bug-report.jpg

December 9, 2017 at 21:20 #24635
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Dear Jérôme,

Thank you very much for testing. The listener seems to appear as it should be. Unfortunately I don’t understand the screenshot of the bug report, perhaps something linked to spatial coordinates, I hope Jean can understand it. Sometimes I have had similar problems and to force quit, but in OM 6.12, not, at least until now, on OM 6.13. I am going crazy for understanding what can be the problem…
Tomorrow I hope to have time to make a little maintenance on my system, if necessary, to test if something go better.
Thank you again for testing and help, ciao

Fabio

December 9, 2017 at 21:56 #24638
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi Fabio. I suspect a problem with OM-Chant output file formats.
Can you try this : https://forge.ircam.fr/p/OM/downloads/get/OM-Chant_2.3.zip

December 10, 2017 at 12:49 #24639
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Also, (specially if you see messages related to the audio formats) you might need to remove and re-open the third, optional input (“format”) of the box SAVE-SOUND.

December 10, 2017 at 12:51 #24640
Profile photo of fdsdb
fdsdb

Hi Jean,

Resolved! Thank you very much, everything runs without errors on OM 6.13, at least for the tests I have just done.
Only for completeness: on OM 6.12 in patches n. 19 and 20 I have to remove 3rd input in unique-pathname object inside filtro_formanti subpatch, inside sampler loop, otherwise there is a crash, with terminal that opens and I have to quit terminal and kill OM 6.12. Without this 3rd input everything runs without problems.
Instead in OM 6.13 I can maintain the 3rd input in unique-pathname object without having any error.

Thank you again, if you like fish and you will be ever in Livorno, you have a “Cacciucco” assured by me, with pleasure. It is a typical Livorno fish soup, very good (Marco Liuni can confirm it :-). The same for you all.

Ciao

Fabio

December 10, 2017 at 16:23 #24641

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.