Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 6 hours, 49 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

OM and Max via OSC

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of
Anonymous

Dear friends,

I am trying to build a maquette that communicates with Max via OSC. I need to send frequencies to Max’s oscillators IN REAL TIME:
for instance: if I have a chord seq playing in a maquette, the notes that are being played (after a conversion mc->f) should arrive to max that will play them via, say, a ioscbank.
I got the two programs to communicate via OSC for individual note events (see picture attached) but I can’t seem to have a chord-seq communicate in real time with max.

In general I have been having a hard time working with maquettes since the manual and tutorials only scratch the surface of the matter.

Thank you for your help,

Michele

October 23, 2013 at 22:55 #6475
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Hi Michele,

What i will say might seem silly. BUt why do you want to use osc to communicate with max while you can use directly the midi protocol ?
What i usually do i send midi to csound in realtime, which works great via the IAC buses!
Sometimes the problems seem more simple than we imagine them….

Best
K

October 23, 2013 at 23:01 #6478
Profile photo of Jean
Jean

Hi, indeed I think you can easily send MIDI to max, from chord-seq notes or from OM “MIDIControl” objects (for continuous controllers).
It is just a matter of setting the right output ports in OM (preferences/MIDI) and the corresponding inputs in Max.

FYI, OM 6.7 may also provide better facilities to communicate (send) Break point functions data via OSC.

Jean

October 24, 2013 at 14:25 #6481
Profile photo of
Anonymous

One last question: can I send microtones to max through midi? Or can I only send tempered midi notes?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Jean Jean.
  • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Karim Karim.
  • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Karim Karim.
October 24, 2013 at 14:26 #6480
Profile photo of
Anonymous

Got it!

Thanks guys, much easier this way!

Mic

October 24, 2013 at 15:49 #6483
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Concerning microtones, this is trickier.
THe thing is that when you send midi, you send it through midi channels. In OM, this is done in the case of microtones by multichannel parsing . In max it doesn’t work. So The best is to send to max two different channels one temperate one with microtones, and then in max , according to your synthesis “detune” the microtones’ channel in order to get the correct pitch.
THis is the eternal problem with midi protocol.

Best
K

October 24, 2013 at 15:53 #6489

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.