Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 9 hours, 2 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

Online doctoral thesis

Author 1 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of Gato GONCALO
Gato GONCALO

Dear all Forumnet users,

Just wanted to share the online publication of my doctoral thesis named ‘Algorithm and Decision in Musical Composition’ (Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London, 2016), which is based on my compositional practice using OpenMusic. It can be found at:

http://www.goncalogato.com/?p=1413

Abstract excerpt
“Through a series of creative projects this doctorate set out to research how computer-assisted composition (CAC) of music affects decision-making in my compositional practice. By reporting on the creative research journey, this doctorate is a contribution towards a better understanding of the implications of CAC by offering new insights into the composing process. It is also a contribution to the composition discipline as new techniques were devised, together with new applications of existing techniques.
Using OpenMusic as the sole programming environment, the manual/machine interface was explored through different balances between manual and algorithmic composition and through aesthetic reflection guiding the composing process. This helped clarify the purpose, adequacy and nature of each method as decisions were constantly being taken towards completing the artistic projects.”

Best regards,
Gonçalo Gato

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Gato GONCALO Gato GONCALO.
February 10, 2017 at 13:47 #20854

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.