Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 3 hours, 42 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

"Poor mans iteration" – please help

Author 2 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of Dagfinn Koch
DagfinnKoch

I have understood that I am not the only one struggling to understanding iterations, still after using Open Music since the Patch Work days.

The link to what I am trying to learn.

http://support.ircam.fr/docs/om/om6-manual/co/FileBoxIterations.html

It would have been great if someone could give some hints, or program the algorithm, where the chord sequence can be looped to fit the length of the transposition row.

My Norwegian colleague Anders Vinjar, said to me, that he programs the controls as Lisp code, and not using the visual functions which I am dependent on. Furthermore me talking about my lack of arithmetic skills, he stressed that it is not about mathematics, but logic.

Ruben Gjertsen – also a colleague from Norway – and I have been talking about superimposing loops of different lengths and parameters, and today preparing this post, I stumbled upon the following post.

CNMAT-OM OPENMUSIC LIBRARY RELEASED (August 15, 2017) might be a sollution, but some help will be appreciated just to understand how to use iterations.

September 24, 2017 at 14:59 #23851
DagfinnKoch

And the patch.

September 24, 2017 at 15:02 #23852
Profile photo of anders
anders

Hi Dagfinn. Perhaps this is much simpler then you expect?

To step through two input lists using omloop, you will typically use two inputs (alt-right arrow on the omloop box adds further inputs), then connect (inside omloop) one of the standard ‘listloop’s to each input, and off you go.

Perhaps you want to try yourself, before looking inside the attached patch? 😉

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of anders anders.
September 25, 2017 at 09:20 #23855
DagfinnKoch

Hi Anders, I did try the solution for my self firt, but must admit, that I didn’t try that long. I also got the solution with extras from Ruben. But thanks to you both, I think the OM-Loop concept is internalized, and I will start with reprogramming a lot of the patches I have already made.

Best, Dagfinn

September 26, 2017 at 12:11 #23913

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.