Spat

Public Group active 1 week, 5 days ago

User group for Spat, panoramix, ToscA , and ADMix

Simple Spat Viewer / Panner setup – an OSC questions

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of colony nofi
colonynofi

Hey Guys,
Really simple question but I’m struggling to figure it out.
I’ve got a very simple spat setup involving the speaker.congig, viewer and pan~ (I don’t need the reverberation for this particular experiment)
I’m just playing around with setup procedures / sending messages in the right order etc. I’ve got my head around most of it through brute force – but I am left with one head scratcher. I don’t think it matters, but I dislike error messages in my console :)

Essentially, if I send a bunch of /source/*/color messages to the viewer, they also get passed to the pan~, and the pan~ throws up error messages.

Do I need to capture these messages and block them myself, or have I just set the patch up in a non-standard way (very possible)

Attached the relevant little bit of the patch to this document – it shows the error on load.

I’m sure its such a newbie mistake – but I’ve scratched my head long and hard (as well as just sticking my head in the sand for the last week ignoring it) and can’t come up with a solution.

Cheers!

July 6, 2018 at 07:37 #27084
Profile photo of nadir B.
nadir B.

Hi,

Yes the pan object expects a position format. A spat5.osc.ignore “/source/*/color” object should save the trouble…

It’s all I can think of… ?

Bye

N.

July 6, 2018 at 12:14 #27087
Profile photo of T.
T.

Hi,

This is not a newbie mistake, this is a tiny bug.
I can think of four options:
– the error being totally benign (it’s just that spat5.pan~ has nothing to do with the color messages), you could just ignore it (close your eyes)
– as suggested by Nadir, use spat5.osc.ignore to explicitly ignore the messages
– use the @initwith attribute, as suggested in the attached patcher
– wait for the next release, where this little bug will be fixed.

Cheers,
T.

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —
July 6, 2018 at 12:29 #27088
Profile photo of colony nofi
colonynofi

Oh I’m glad I’m not going entirely crazy. Thanks for looking.

I think using the spat5.osc.ignore message is the cleanest method for now – at least I’ll see it easily when working on the patch in 3 months time with little to no memory of what I’m doing now. Though I’ll look at your @initwith attribute suggestion too – always good to learn new methods.

I don’t want to leave the error message in there – since the patch is being installed in a museum and it won’t be just me looking at it. The wrong person might think there really IS a problem.

Many thanks again – appreciate how quickly things get solved here. I look forward to some perhaps more in depth conversations some other time.

Cheers! B.

July 6, 2018 at 13:03 #27089

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.