• Profile picture of T.

Spat

Public Group active 6 hours, 1 minute ago

User group for Spat, panoramix, ToscA , and ADMix

Yaw angle of sources

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of Kai Yves Linden
kyl

Bonjour, I’m wondering how one could play with the relation between yaw and azimuth in Spat. By default, sound sources are always facing the listener at the sweet spot. Is there a mode which decouples the yaw from the azimuth angle of the source? For example, when a source travels north in a line, e.g. from x=0,y=-1 to y=1, it changes direction when it passes through x=0,y=0 (i.e. the sweet spot), because the azimuth changes from 180° to 0°. Is there a way to keep the direction of the source (e.g. in the given example facing north when the motion begins) without adjusting the yaw angle according to the azimuth angle by hand? (Doing it by hand could be rather expensive regarding performance, because when travelling in xyz coordinates, one would have to compute the azimuth and then the offset of the yaw for every step in a given grain resolution.) The only parameter I found in the reference documentation and help patches of the Spat’s Max objects which might be connected to this problem is “directionmode”. The documentation states that “yawconstraint” is its default value. Are there other values, something like, say, “yawabsolute”? Is there another method to decouple (or maybe automatically counter-couple) yaw and azimuth? And is it possible to apply it to each source seperately?

May 29, 2017 at 12:41 #22456
Profile photo of nadir B.
nadir B.

Hi,

You may send a message orientationmode translation via prepend source $1 to the spat_oper

check spat.viewer.maxhelp in Max’s extras Ircam Spat Overview

Bye

N.

May 29, 2017 at 15:45 #22457
Profile photo of T.
T.

Nadir’s answer is perfect. (Thanks)

NB: the “source $1 orientationmode translation” works fine in spat.oper. However, I have the impression this is broken/buggy in spat.viewer. Will investigate that. (I admit I dont use that option very often…)

T.

May 29, 2017 at 19:27 #22465
Profile photo of Kai Yves Linden
kyl

Thanks to Nadir and T. It seems I overlooked the “aperture” sub-patch in the help patch. @T.: Yes, the translation looks somewhat random in the viewer, kind of wobbled at times. Does this only concern the graphical representation?

May 30, 2017 at 11:07 #22473
Profile photo of T.
T.

No, the bug in spat.viewer is not only graphical; it also affects the messages delivered. (unfortunately)

May 30, 2017 at 11:17 #22474

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.